Long and Pointy! -Reply

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Long and Pointy! -Reply
From: Daniel Jones <djones2@mdc.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 11:34:13 -0600
>Probably need the resistor that comes
>with them, instead of the stock one.  Can tell with an ohm
>meter and the directions that come with the points.  Be
>safe, if you don't measure the resistance, use the new
>resistor.

I just finished installing a Mallory Unilte distributor.  The
instructions indicated the use of a ballast resistor in
addition to the stock resistor wire.  Everything worked
fine but with a moderately rich mixture, the plugs would
eventually foul.  I called their techline and they faxed me
a new schematic with ballast resistor *or* resistor wire
but not both.  Runs much better now.  The safe way to
tell is to measure voltage at the positive terminal of the
coil.  It should be 7 to 11 volts, the higher the better.

A couple other things you should know when using a
Unilite.  Solid core wires, particularly the coil wire, will
eventually kill the unit.  They will also introduce noise
to the triggering signal. Also, the Unlite module relies on a
white grease compound, similar to dielectric grease
to transfer heat to the aluminum distributor body.
This will eventally dry out and the unit will die, typically
on a very hot day.

Mallory supplies a degree key that allows you to set
the mechanical advance without trial and error testing.
However, they don't include the color-coded springs
and chart to get the proper advance curve.  Call them
up order the spring kit.

>Want 50,000 volts or more?  The Mallory M6-AL high energy,
>rev limited system, coupled to these new triggers will fry
>your hair and make the underside of your hood glow blue at
>night.  This is the big buck solution.  Well worth it for
>racing applications.  Say $165. BTW:  Your going to need
>those high priced silicone wires now.  Give up another $65.

I think you've confused two companies.  Autotronics makes
the MSD-6AL.  Mallory makes the Hyfire IV.  Both are
capacitive discharge and have optional rev limiters.  The MSD
version is multi-strike.  At low rpm, it will fire the plug several
times (as many as six times), at moderate rpm perhaps three
times.  At high rpm, it reverts to a single spark.  The multi-strike
feature can help cold start up and low speed driveability if you
have a lumpy cam.  Several other companies offer similar
units.

The MSD unit takes power directly from the battery.  The
distributor acts only as a trigger.  You can use most any
distributor to trigger the unit and if it fails, you can use the
supplied jumper wires to bypass.  This works with most
distributors except MSD's.  MSD's aren't full distributors,
they're only triggering devices and can't operate stand alone.

Dan Jones