Re: Good News, Bad news

To: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Good News, Bad news
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 12:31:50 -0800
Stu,

I agree with Doug; do not waste your time trying half measures like shim
stock. I believe the press fit of the knurled shank into the hub is a
one-time operation. When you replace the studs, you must go to a slightly
larger diameter knurled section, which is precisely what the dumb PO did.
Now you need even larger diameter knurled shank studs. They may be
available, and they may not. If not, this leaves you with very few choices.
One might be to tack weld the studs in place on the back side. A second
might be to have some special studs machined ($$$$$). A third might be to
fill in the hole some with weld and re-drill the holes (also $$$$). A
fourth would be to go to 1/2" studs and get a fresh start (This is the
option I elected).

Bob

At 01:59 PM 2/22/99 -0500, STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com wrote:

>     O.K., so I finally got my backwards thread wheel studs out of my RF
>     hub this weekend.  They came out relatively easy, using just an
>     antique acme thread C-clamp.  So much for the good news.  Time for the
>     bad:
>
>     These backwards studs were non the same brand, so the PO had to open
>     up the holes in the hub just a few thousandths.  The proper studs now
>     can wiggle around a bit in the holes.
>
>     I'm thinking of using some 0.002" shim stock to fill up the gap,
>     restoring the press fit.
>
>     Does this sound like a reasonable solution?
>
>     Stu

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com