Re: Rear license plate mounting

To: laifman@flash.net
Subject: Re: Rear license plate mounting
From: TigerCoupe@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 22:52:13 EST
On 3/2/99 at 7:02:23 PST laifman@flash.net (Steve Laifman) wrote:

>Dick,

>I know your car was one of the earliest built, but..........<

Steve,

The car I am referring to is my 66 MK IA, which I bought new from a Dodge
dealer here in San Diego.  It had a front license plate bracket (solid, not
flip down like the Alpines), but NO REAR BRACKET.  The plate was screwed
directly to the trunk lid, and the lights were in the usual positions on the
rear valance, on either side of the trunk release button.  Earlier I owned a
'59 Series I Alpine, and the rear plate was attached in the same manner.  I
suppose there might have  been a factory rear bracket, but in all my years of
Tigering, I have never seen one.  Just because your car had one when you
acquired it doesn't necessarily mean that was the way it came from the
factory.  As to whether or not a car without a bracket would be legal,
especially in California, I'll just have to take your word for it.

Dick Barker