inquiry 030999b

To: "National Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: inquiry 030999b
From: "Wright, Larry" <lrw@aop.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 08:11:25 -0500
Bob Lerch wrote:
>As a new owner of a Tiger I am able to figure out
>most of the questions I have about the Tiger, but
>I'll admit I'm unable to figure out the secret formula
>for folding down the soft top.

Bob, I have a MK1, and yes, they're particularly tough to get the top to
fit into the well. I've had a half-dozen different people show me how,
each method different. The technique that works best for me is to fold
in the metal parts, wrap the top around it, and end up with the metal
"header bar", the part that attaches to the windshield frame, tucked up
_under_ the rest of the wad before it goes down. That way the header bar
occupies space that otherwise would be wasted. A little careful tucking
of various corners of the fabric as I lower the top, and voila! Should
work on your Mk1a, and even faster. Major warning: Make 115% sure that
all fasteners are undone from the body before starting. Just once, I
forgot the two twist-key attachments near the back of the doors. Result?
Little star cracks in the paint from the top's fabric trying to pull the
fasteners out of the bodywork, and this was on brand new paint. Aaargh!

Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products Div. of USOP
lrw@aop.com