Transmission (long)

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Transmission (long)
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 22:26:41 -0500
Folks,
        I hate to say it but my #%@^%*(&^! replacement
transmission is confusing!  As previously noted in other mail,
I decided to replace my HEH CF transmission with another
toploader that I had aquired.  The tail piece was 1 1/2" shorter
 than the Tiger transmission, so I simply moved the 351C motor
and new transmission back to make up for it. It took a lot of
work to get this accomplished.  I had a new Hurst Indy shifter
on the new transmission as well.   I finally got the Tiger
on the road the night before the TE/AE meet at Lake Helens Florida.
Guess what? The 3rd and 4th gears are reversed from the HEH CF
transmission.  That is, high gear is on the forward right hand side
of the H pattern and the 3rd gear is on the lower right hand side of the
H pattern.  I checked the linkages on the new transmission compared
to the Tiger Transmission and they are exactly the same and the two
shifters, original Tiger and the new Hurst also operate the same way
and directions.  This blows my mind.  I had counted gear teeth on the new
transmission as well as the Tiger Transmission and they were:
1st gear, 32 teeth on both.
Reverse gear, 38 teeth on both.
2nd gear, 31 teeth on both.
3rd gear, 25 teeth on HEH CF and 21 on the new transmission.
Input gear 23 teeth on both.
I was unable to count teeth on the cluster gears.
 ( but now I wish I had).
Based on the above gear teeth numbers, I assumed that the gear ratios were
all the same except for a slightly different 3rd gear.

Boy! was I wrong!

Tonight, with the Tiger up on Jack stands I ran the motor at 2000 rpm
and checked the speedometer in each gear.  I divided the 4th gear speed with
the speeds in other gears to get relative ratios of the gears.  I couldn't
believe the numbers so I repeated the test at 3000 rpm.  The ratios were:

4.16, 2.5, 1.25 and 1 at 2000
and
4.10, 2.43, 1.27 and 1 at 3000.

The slight differences in ratios are assumed to be due to a slightly erratic
speedometer.

I also confirmed that the 3 and 4 positions were reversed.

I pulled a couple of lists of Ford toploader transmission gear
ratios off the NET and none of them came close to a 4.1 first
gear ratio.

The transmission tag number is:
RUGBP  LGO
07RAA  1048

Can any of you transmission experts out there identify
what the transmission is from or explain how the 3rd and 4th
are reversed in their selection?

I am aware that I could mount the 3-4 lever upside down , fabricate a new 3-4
linkage rod and make it shift normally, but it blows my mind.

When I bought the transmission the seller said it came off of a
1980 Mercury.  I got a bellhousing, clutch and 302 motor at the
same time.

Nineteen miles per hour at 3000 rpm in low is a little steep
for a motor with over 300 ft lb of tork.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others