RE: Transmission ID

To: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Subject: RE: Transmission ID
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 22:32:53 -0500
At 04:41 PM 3/18/99 -0700, you wrote:
>You shouldn't have to get the speedo adjusted, provided you use the same gears
>on the trans output shaft and on the speedo takeoff, as what you had
previously.
>The output shaft still spins at the same speed for a given road speed, no
matter
>what you have in there for a transmission.
>
>Theo Smit
>tsmit@novatel.ca
>B382002705
Theo,
        I agree with the second statement, however this transmission
came with a speedometer gear that is completely different from the
original tiger gear.  The teeth are reversed and if I recall there
are about 22 teeth,  My Tiger II had 17 teeth.  The drive comes off the
bottom of the tail shaft while the Tiger came off the top of the tail
shaft.  Driving up HY 95 on the way to the TE/AE/All British meet,
I was followed by Rob in his mustang.  I was setting on 70 and
he said I was around 75 to 79 most of the time.  My wife also
followed me in a Chev.  I was setting on 60 ( in a heavy rain)
and she said I was going around 68 mph.
So I do need to calibrate my speedometer.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others