Re:351C

To: comorgan@juno.com
Subject: Re:351C
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 21:22:02 -0500
At 08:49 PM 3/21/99 -0700, you wrote:
>James,
>
>I've enjoyed the info you've given this last week.  I'm new to this list;
>and, perhaps yu've described this before; but, I was wondering how you
>fit a 351C in a Tiger?  And, how would this compare with a 347 stroked
>302?  You could probably write a book, but a few comments would be
>helpful.  Also, someone else might have an opinion.
>
>Cliff  9471187
>

>COMORGAN@JUNO.COM

 Cliff,
        It is real simple to put a 351C in a Tiger.  The Motor mount
locations are relatively in the same place as the 260 or 289.  All you
have to do is move the firewall back 6 to 8 inches, replace the
front frames with 2X3" steel tubes on the outside of the original
frames. The new frames should not have the "hump" in them.  Remove the
original frames, fabricate new motor mounts, adjust the fenderwells
to match the new frames. Replace the radiator with one 8" wider.
Build a set of headers. Slide the seat back, and go like hell.
Actually it is a little more involved; but that is the basics.  I
just relocated the 351C back another 1 1/4" to accomodate a transmission
with a shorter tail piece and that was almost as much work as the
351C conversion.  Back in 1970 or so I put a Boss 302 in the Tiger II.
I didnt modify the fenderwells or frames at that time.  It required
that the headers be very cramped.  The 351C has plenty of open space
around the plugs and headers ( except for the steering column in the
way on one side.)
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others