Re: 351C

To: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 351C
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 18:22:01 -0800
Jim, et Listers,

The way I figure it, my Tiger has 2.88 gears and the odometer is supposed
to be 980 revs per mile. Let's figure 1.01 feet for the rolling radius of
rear wheels (A little less than measured circumference/2pi). Then the
number of revolutions per mile is 5280/1.01x2pi = 832 rev/mi. With my 2.88
gears, the drive shaft turns 2.88x832 = 2396 rev/mi. Now, my odometer needs
980 rev/mi. I don't remember how many teeth the original gear on the end of
the drive cable had, but let's suppose it was 22. Then the number of teeth
that gears 4792 down to 980 is 22(980/2396) = 9 . Now, how do you suppose
this came out to be exactly an integer?? Well, I fudged a little; the first
time through I used an even 1ft for the rolling radius. Maybe this helps a
little as an example of how to do this type of calculation, even if the
number of teeth or rolling radius I used is off.

TTFN,

Bob
Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com