inquiry 032399a

To: "National Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: inquiry 032399a
From: "Wright, Larry" <lrw@aop.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 07:51:44 -0500
Mike Burd wrote:
>The smith water temp sending unit doesn't thread into the aftermarket
>Edelbrock F4B manifold.

        Mike, getting the manifold modified to accept the stock sender
or finding a sender to fit the manifold both sound like particularly
"clean" ways to resolve this; however, I'll re-post my solution because
it's cheap and requires no special tools or skills.
        I rummaged around in my box of household plumbing supplies (you
may have to visit the hardware store) until I found a copper transition
connector that adapts threaded pipe to soldered pipe; pretty sure it was
1/2" at both ends, but it'll be obvious what fits and what doesn't. The
threaded end was "male" for going right into the manifold, the other end
was "female" for accepting the straight copper pipe. Instead, I stuck
the sender in there. The sender is too big by a mite to fit straight in;
so I fired up the bench grinder and removed the threads from the sender,
you could probably do OK with a hand file if you're careful.
        Two minutes or so with the homeowner's grade torch "sweated" the
two together; I stuck the assembly in the vise upside-down, compared to
eventual installation in the car, to keep solder from dripping onto the
business end of the sender. Because I used Teflon tape to seal between
the manifold and the new sender-assembly, I added a soldered-on tab to
accept the ground wire.
        It works great, no leaks either. It does stick up a bit more
(1/2"?) than if the sender threaded directly into the manifold. I guess
the whole job cost me 29 cents or so.

Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products Div. of USOP