Re: Gear Ratios Speedometer gear eyeballed

To: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: Gear Ratios Speedometer gear eyeballed
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 17:01:53 -0500
At 08:38 PM 3/26/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Jim, et Listers,
>
>Based on a 7 tooth drive gear, the correct speedo gear for a 980 calib
>factor speedo would be 18 teeth (0.3% error), and for your 1020 speedo it's
>17 teeth (2% error). Where did the 22 tooth gear come from? Not original I
>presume. Perhaps you changed it to compensate for smaller diameter tires?
>
>Bob
        The 22 tooth gear came with the transmission.  The speedometer
cable had been cut off an inch or so from the transmission.  Since the
SROD mounts the speedometer cable under the rear shaft, the teeth are
reverse pitch from the normal Tiger and they are also considerably
finer teeth.  The 22 tooth gear was the same diameter as the 17 tooth
I had in the Tiger Transmission.  The 17 tooth was not stock, I replaced
a 15 tooth gear a long time ago when I went to smaller diameter tires.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others