Re: Gear Ratios Speedometer gear eyeballed

To: laifman@flash.net
Subject: Re: Gear Ratios Speedometer gear eyeballed
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 22:39:24 -0500
At 06:06 PM 3/28/99 -0800, you wrote:

>James Barrett wrote:
>
>> >Bob
>>         The 22 tooth gear came with the transmission.  The speedometer
>> cable had been cut off an inch or so from the transmission.  Since the
>> SROD mounts the speedometer cable under the rear shaft, the teeth are
>> reverse pitch from the normal Tiger and they are also considerably
>> finer teeth.  The 22 tooth gear was the same diameter as the 17 tooth
>> I had in the Tiger Transmission.  The 17 tooth was not stock, I replaced
>> a 15 tooth gear a long time ago when I went to smaller diameter tires.
>> James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others
>
>Now that sounds more like it.  AS I said, I didn't know the exact number of
>teeth on the larger helical transmission gear, but the range from 15 to 22
>sounds about right.  The upper right take-off transmissions rotate the same as
>the lower left stock, but obviously Jim's under (I presume right?) mount is
>counter rotation.  The speedometer expects only clockwise input, so the change
>in take-off would dictate the tooth direction to make this so.
>
>I am more than sure, know, that my 1250 calibration required, from 980, was NOT
>the result of using the MK II transmission, but having the wrong gear in it.
>Since the internal speedo gears were not available at any reasonable price for
>this correction (an extra $100), I elected to have the speedo corrected
>magnetically and hair spring tension, and let the odometer be wrong.
>
>So does either of you know the STOCK helical count and speedo cable end count?
>

>Steve Laifman
        Steve,
                All of my speedometers take counterclockwise rotation of
the cable.  This includes Alpine, Tiger, MG and JC Whitney aftermarket.
The number of teeth on the HEH CF transmission shaft ( the drive gear) is 7.
This
was stock on my Tiger II.  The original number of teeth on the driven gear
attached to the cable was 15 before I changed it long ago.
The 7 tooth drive gear is extreamly "twisted" so that when you look at it
the gear teeth are only a few degrees away from parallel to the gear.  However
when you look at the very edge of the gear, you can see the true number of
teeth.
Both the Tiger II cable and the SROD cable comes out the drivers side of
the transmission.  The Tiger cable is above the shaft and the SROD cable is
below the shaft.  I don't think that I will be able to count the teeth on
the SROD drive gear as the transmission is installed and it is hard
enough to count the teeth when the transmission is laying on the floor.
After going through my numbers a few dozen times, I am beginning to
believe that the SROD has either 7 or 8 teeth.  Still not sure.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others