RE: Oil filter adapter

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oil filter adapter
From: "Allan Connell, Jr." <alcon@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 10:33:45 -0700
Robert and the list:

Yes, you are correct that this should not be a problem technically quite
simple.  A combination wrench with flat jaws should work just fine too.
Unfortunately, many of us are dealing with cars that have been attacked by
the PO or a mechanic who, fifteen some odd years ago could not find the
appropriate gasket, so left it off and just tried to tighten the the sh*t
out of the adapter with some old Purolator Form-A-Gasket sealant on the
adapter. In the process, as in my case and others, they rounded the hex head
pretty badly.  Obviously, as with many old cars the circumstances more than
the book dictate the tools.  In my case (and boy, am I a case!) I had to use
the combo wrench because there was no way to get a socket on the bad boy
with the headers so nicely in the way.

One of the things I like about classic cars is that in many cases, one is
required to discard the book and go with an "outside of the box" or creative
solution.

JMHOBLK

Allan