Re: Coolant filter longish reply

To: Ray McCrary <spook01@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Coolant filter longish reply
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 09:48:24 -0700
Ray McCrary wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Where can I obtain a good metal-bodied coolant filter to fit in the top
> hose for the Tiger?  I hate consider my new aluminum radiator croaking early.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ray

Ray,

I have tried two and thoroughly examined a third water filter for keeping scale
from clogging our radiators.  This is a problem with Tigers and old Iron Blocks,
but can be solved.

First try was the Gant lexan plastic inline filter for the top hose.  It has a
removable double conical screen set inside the assemble, which fits the inside
of your top hose.  The first screen has a hole in the center, so the periphery
catches the bigger flakes, and the second screen has no hole and catches the
rest.  Fine brass screens soldered to a brass ring that bolts to the housing.

This is a good filter, but there is a major design problem, and a minor
problem.  The minor problem is that the transparent housing, supposedly allowing
a view of the filter to know when to service it, can not bee seen through the
green antifreeze.  One could partially drain the coolant and see the filter,
allowing a service reminder.  The MAJOR problem is that there are no "lips" on
the housing to keep the hose from slipping off.  Only friction is keeping it
together.  A safety wire is supplied to keep the two clamps together, put I was
a little wary of the pressure popping the unit out.  I built a simple stay
between the two clamps on the opposite side of the clamp positions using a piece
of stainless clamp band that was under the clamps, and folded over the clamps at
the ends.  Still, I would miss the security of the "lip".  Although I hadn't any
problem with the lexan housing, it could be source of future problems if it
breaks from age, pressure, or abuse.

The second filter was still the Gant filter, with all the good features, but the
housing was solid machined brass, with "lips".   Works just fine, and I check it
every 3-5 months.  This would depend on your experience with how fast your car
releases scale.  Mine was power back flushed, and had few miles, but many years
on the block.  Can't see through it, so I just butted the hose together and you
can't tell it's there, except for the two clamps.

I highly recommend thus filter, and it is available at the CAT warehouse for
members, an at classic Mustang  Parts stores.

The third filter is made by "Mr. Gasket", is widely advertised in parts
catalogs, and is called "Billet".  A few observations.  It is not "Billet" in
the common usage of machined from a solid block of material, such as aluminum.
It is stamped sheet metal that has been chromed.  It is a couple of inches in
diameter, and does have barbed ends for the hose clamps. That is a plus.  It
looks like a large garden hose connection, with a course thread connecting the
two ends. On the minus side, the outer shell does not rotate around the barb
fitting, as a garden hose would, which requires the hose to be removed.  No
different, in that respect than the Gant, but could have been made simpler to
service with a swivel collar.  The big disappointment came when I took it
apart.  The filter screen, while of brass screen, has no outer soldered ring for
stabilization.  It is sealed against the mating part by being sandwiched between
them with an O-ring.  This O-ring edge compression friction supplies the entire
retention force.  As this 1 stage screen gets clogged, which is why it's there,
the pressure on it keeps increasing.  Eventually, unless cleaned, it will
collapse and not only travel to your radiator tank, but take that accumulated
scale with it.  Now this is a design evaluation and I have not tested the unit
to see what per cent clogging will cause release.  I estimated that it would not
need to be highly (80%) clogged to get to the release point.  My opinion is that
it could have been a winner, but the execution reeks of penny pinching.  I was
taken to task by a lister because I had not actually purchased a unit and
conducted tests.  But, I am not in that business.  My opinion was based on
observation and backed by too many years of rocket science.  Other listers,
hearing this 'flame' came forward with their own actual experience of having
this unit dump into their own radiator.  "'Nuff said."

My final recommendation is the brass housed Gant filter, with frequent checks.
It's pretty easy to do, and the service, if sufficient particles are caught, is
easy.  Your regular replacement top hose is fine, as this will fit in the
straight section, and not change the length if you butt the cut ends together.
If you like belts and suspenders, a stainless band retaining strap wouldn't hurt
anything.

Good luck.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                         _/
                    _/_/_/