Re: Girling Hydraulics

To: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Girling Hydraulics
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 19:36:52 -0700
At 07:52 AM 5/6/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Steve,
>
>I can't speak for the servo rebuild, but you might want to do some
>research regarding re-sleeving of master cylinders with stainless.
>I've heard, but not personally verified the following:
>
>1. That silicone brake fluid will seep past a stainless sleeve/cylinder
>   interface.
>
>2. That stainless sleeves must be interference fit into the master
>   cylinder and that the aluminum they are made of is not strong enough
>   for this purpose.  Another possible issue is the different thermal
>   expansion rates for stainless and aluminum.
>
>Roland

Personal experience for 20 years of service with my silicone / clutch slave
cylinder says this theory as no merit. Perhaps the rubber seals were not
pre-swollen before assembly by those claiming such data.  As to the
interference fit, I believe that most commercial operations bore to a slip
fit and use Locktite to complete the seal.  I did mine by press fit and I
can tell you that you better know your dimensions, because if you miss and
the tube only goes 3/4 into the bore when it exceeds structural and press
capabilities, you have a very unpleasant mess.  I don't think that the
differential thermal expansion  is a problem, but that's feeling not fact.

Tom