Re: Tiger engine misc.

To: Alpdavegre@aol.com
Subject: Re: Tiger engine misc.
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 21:36:48 -0400
At 12:10 AM 5/8/99 EDT, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>Fourth, is there a trick to getting the T-bar out of the shifter handle on
>the original shifter? I see a small wire going down through the T-bar.
>
>Thanks for any help on above.
>David Green
>B9472549LRXFE

David,
        There is a wire that passes through the T-bar.  On top of the
wire there is a lump of metal that the T-Bar presses against when you
lift the T-bar.  The other end of the wire is braised into the reverse
lockout "key".  To replace the T-Bar you have to melt the brass that
is securing the wire to the "key".  once the key is loose  then the
wire can be pulled up through the T-bar and out the top of the shifter
handle.  The T-bar will then come out sideways from the assy.  I have
had both a Tiger shifter and a similar mustang shifter apart to swap
the mustang T-bar in place of the broken Tiger T-Bar.  There were
springs inside both shifters to apply the tension on the T-Bar.  The
Mustang had an extra spring above the T-Bar as well.
        To replace the T-bar and solid wire you will need a torch
to braise the wire into the "key".

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others