TT fiberglass hood from hell

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: TT fiberglass hood from hell
From: Ray McCrary <spook01@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 08:11:51 -0500
Hello all,

Recently, I purchased a Tiger Technologies LAT hood for the Tiger, and seem
to have some really serious problems with it.  There are both quality
control problems as well as a design problem with the hood.

When I first opened the box, I thought that it was a nice piece, but this
first impression changed upon attempting to fit it to the car.

First, the hood is too short for the opening, nor is it wide enough. This
makes for some really poor panel gaps. The hood is too high by slightly
over 1/4" on one side of the car, and varies from 1/4" high to 1/8" low
down the other side (warped). In addition, the hood is warped along the
rear edge as well.

The bonded-in hinge mounting plate is of aluminum, and is threaded with
1/4-28 thread; this is a stripped thread waiting to happen.  These plates
should be steel, or, failing this, should have studs.

So far, I have tried to space the hinges down enough for the "hood" to fit,
but will have to start grinding on the hinges in order to move it back far
enough to cover the rear area.  This gives only the bolts that fit through
the top radiator support panel to hold the hinge; the four bolts that go
through the leading edge of the hood opening cannot be used, because of the
spacing problem.

I have some serious reservations about trying to make this hood work; in
fact, I may just purchase the aluminum hood, or cut the scoops out of this
hood and bond them to my old hood.

The only thing that stops me from cutting up the thing is the cost of the
hood; these things are not cheap enough to hack up for the scoops.

Steve Laifman has the carbon fiber version, and he has had a hard time
making it work as well, so it isn't just the faberglass version.

My question is this: Are Steve and I the only guys who have had trouble
with these hoods?, and if not, what did the rest of you resort to to make
them fit.

Also, does anyone know how to get in touch with the guy who makes a
aluminum version? Have any of you used his hood? Does IT fit?

Regards,

Ray