RE: Akerman Geometry and Chateau Elan

To: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Subject: RE: Akerman Geometry and Chateau Elan
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 15:16:13 -0700
Theo, Chris, et Listers,

Good question Theo. I have 15" wheels with 4&3/4" rear spacing up front.
This is just about the maximum rear spacing you can have with 15" wheels
without rubbing on the upper ball joints, which is usually the first point
of interference. With these wheels, I have a huge amount of clearance
(well, at least 1") with the tie rod ends over the whole range of motion. I
am quite sure that 14" wheels would also have adequate clearance, although
13" wheels would be questionable, but might work depending on the offset.
There may be some interference with the rotor dust shields. I haven't had
mine on since way before I put the MGB steering arms on, but the tie rod
ends sit pretty close to the rotors. BTW, I guess we all know by now that
Doane Spencer flipped the rotors so he could bend the arms out as far as
possible. Smart guy that Doane. Took me about twenty years to figure out
what he did and why. ;-)

TTFN,

Bob