Spark Shrouding

To: <laifman@flash.net>
Subject: Spark Shrouding
From: "Tim Ronak" <timinvan@fox.nstn.ca>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 09:51:21 -0600
Steve,
Given the dynamite example you are probably right as the fuse directs the
ignition but with a skinny spark you do not want to shroud it at all as
where the fuel charge is ignited is important to get it to all burn at once.
IE: ignite in the center and the flame front races outward to the edges of
the cylinder together. If we ignite off to one side due to a shrouded spark
it then has to race across the entire chamber to burn all of the gases and
given the speed that all of these things happen some of the gas is expelled
un burnt.
I bet that Doan guy with his 300HP 260 indexed his plugs so the opening
faced down.
Since i have not stood inside a cylinder under combustion it is more a
religous conviction that indexing is a good thing, rather than a
quantifiable fact.
It works for me.
regards,
Tim Ronak
B382000680

PS: I bet a Titan rocket engine would make a 2400lb Tiger scoot right along
with out indexed plugs.