Re: Shimy and shake

To: CoolVT@aol.com
Subject: Re: Shimy and shake
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 10:24:34 -0700
CoolVT@aol.com wrote:

> I also shake.  I mounted new tires and rims, had a balance and still shook at
> about 65 and up.  Had the shop rebalance the wheels for me again this year
> and things are very much better.  Apparently the first balance was a hurry up
> job.  I marked the spots of the old weights to be sure that I did get a new
> balance and the new weights were added and in different spots on the rim.
> It's a lot better now.

Mark,

This is very typical of a balance job done on a new set of tires. It was fine,
after the tires were mounted and balanced.  After a few "burnout's", some "brake
tests", and just plain driving, the tires have a tendency to move on the rims.
This completely alters the balance points, as the weights did not move.  They do
"soap-up" the beads to get the new tire to fit over the rim easily.

Racing jocks have been known to use sheet metal screws to fasten their tires to
the wheel through the steel bead.

I recommend that you get the tire dealer to balance the tires after you've
driven about 1,000 miles.  That should seat the tires in their "home", and the
balance will last a lot longer.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                         _/
                    _/_/_/