Re: Center Cap Restoration

To: "Daniel S. Eiland" <daniel@htg.net>
Subject: Re: Center Cap Restoration
From: "geewhiz@inreach.com" <geewhiz@inreach.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 12:39:08 -0700
Daniel S. Eiland wrote:

> Has anyone ever restored the center caps on a set of Shelby 6X13 Minilite
> Wheels. Mine came with the car and are very old. They need to be rechromed
> but I do not know how to remove the Shelby sticker from their center. Is
> there some place that has new stickers for sale? Is there a place that
> restores these old wheels?

I just found a set of these wheels (used) after a 6 year search.  They
were in fair condition, with lots of brake dust stains.  Here's what I
did to restore them myself.

1. Eagle One Etching Mag Wheel Cleaner on both sides.  This will stain
the polished areas, but those will be brought back later.

2. Smooth out all imperfections in polished areas with a file if
necessary, then 320/400/600 grit paper in water.  Use 600 on all
surfaces no matter what, to help with subsequent polishing.

3. Polish by hand with Mother's Mag polish.

4. Clean residue from Mother's Mag polish where it gets into the pores
of the unmachined aluminum.  Use Eagle One A 2 Z mild cleaner, suitable
for polished surfaces, and a fingernail brush.

5. Head on down to the local cheapie tire store, and find some NEW
aftermarket generic caps.  I found some at a little hole in the wall
tire store for $5 each.  (I only had two original caps, in poor
condition.)

6. Select your own stickers from a parts house, or from a British Car
supply catalog.  (I haven't found any yet, but have purchased them years
ago for another car.)

Unless you're really attached to the original caps, it's going to be
expensive to have them rechromed.

I'll post pics of my wheels soon!

Gerard
65 Mk 1