Re: Electrical problem / other

To: RayKReese@aol.com, Tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electrical problem / other
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 10:07:25 -0700
Ray,

I've found out the hard way the importance if having the engine well
grounded. In fact, I added a second ground strap just to be sure. It's
important to have a good, beefy ground strap on the motor because all the
starter current flows through it. This can be on the order of 50-100
amperes! If you don't have a good connection, then the default return
becomes the clutch hydraulic line, which turns cherry red trying to pass
all this current when you start the engine. However, I don't see how this
problem could affect your tachometer, although some other grounding point
may be the problem. Also, do you have an ammeter? It's important that the
connections to the ammeter be good, since all the other current; e.g., to
the lights and windshield wiper, go through the ammeter. This problem is
probably just a good excuse to go through and check all the ground points,
since over time they get loose, corroded, etc. and need tightening/cleaning.

Good luck,

Bob

At 12:01 PM 6/22/99 -0400, RayKReese@aol.com wrote:
>John: Thanks for the advise. I'll check that strap as soon as I've got some
>time. It's driven every day, so it's never still long enough to work on.
>Spring has really been great this year, but I know as soon as the humidity
>starts to rise, I'll be ready to begin the air conditioning project! I'll let
>you know something soon. Thanks again!
>
>Ray
>B9473174

Robert L. Palmer