Re: inquiry 062299a

To: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>,
Subject: Re: inquiry 062299a
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 10:22:09 -0700
Larry,

I hadn't given this question any thought, probably because Dale installed
my rear disk setup. All I have is a simple right-angle bend in the solid
brake line to my rear calipers. However, I've had them since about three
years now and they seem to be fine. I don't think the issue is whether the
lines will crack from fatigue, I just don't think there is enough repeated
motion to cause this problem. However, if the calipers were held too
rigidly in place, you would notice a problem with excessive pedal play. I
don't have this problem either. First, you need to keep the axle end play
to a minimum. Otherwise, the end play will push the pads out to the full
extent of the play and it doesn't take very much to translate into a lot of
pedal. Similarly, if the brake line was sort of a spring that pulled the
caliper away from the disk, then this could also cause excessive pedal.
Converseley, if the spring pushed the caliper into the disk, then it would
ride on the disk and cause excessive wear. A mitigating factor here is the
friction of the "floating" caliper mount. There is actually quite a bit of
friction, so the calipers don't "float" as easily as the term implies. So,
in practice, the run-out and end play push the caliper out of the way when
you aren't actually applying the brakes, which lets the disk turn freely.
As long as the brake line isn't exerting enough force to overcome the
friction, you're OK I think. On the other hand, a flexible line would
remove all doubt. It's your choice.

TTFN,

Bob

At 06:54 AM 6/22/99 -0400, Wright, Larry wrote:

>         I spoke to Dale last night on this and other topics. He says
>that this installation has been on his Tiger, street-driven and raced,
>since 1989 with no failures. While this is a real-world,
>based-on-experience answer and not a technical explanation, it bears
>consideration. The caliper movement must be minimal, on the order of
>1/8" or so. Anyhow, I'm _thinking_ of looking into having a short set of
>flex lines made up (more $$$).
>
>         I just got back some photos from development, including Kodak
>Picture Discs. So I now have some images of the first steps of the
>rebuild process, and a few of the Tiger gathering at Dick Barker's last
>month when I was out there.
>
>Lawrence R. Wright
>Purchasing Analyst
>Andrews Office Products Div. of USOP