Re: Smiths Clock

To: Schotland <gary@schotland.com>
Subject: Re: Smiths Clock
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 08:05:29 -0700
Schotland wrote:

> Tiger Tom does a quartz conversion for about $125 that retains the operation
> of the stock controls.  No one will know (except you and Tom) that your
> clocks innards have been gutted and replaced with a totally reliable quartz
> unit.  If you want your clock to actually work and keep accurate time, go for
> the quartz conversion.  I had mine professionally rebuilt, after which it was
> accurate to about 10-15 minutes/month - not exactly "Rolex time".

I've had this done.  There is a VDO with the same case diameter.  I used the
face
from the original, but number of good instrument shops can put a new decal face
on
the VDO face, and get the numbers right.

BUT, the VDO adjustment, which keeps better time than the Rolex, is a knob in
the
center of the lens.  The side knobs are gone, unless you can figure out some way
of fixing them to the rim and getting the rim to if the VDO case.  You'd still
have the center adjust, though.

But, as we say in the rocket biz, 'it's close enough for government work'.
Well,
at least it won't come down from the sky in flames and make you look silly.
{9->

Steve
--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/