Re: Tonneau cover wisdom

To: Andy Walker <awtiger@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Tonneau cover wisdom
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 13:21:16 -0700
Andy Walker wrote:

> "We at Robbins recommend
> you have any of our products installed by a qualified professional."
> Really, I don't think it will be that hard to do but I am in need of some
> advice.  Is there a method by which these are installed?  Do you install
> the dash attachments first or the rear ones?  Or the sides?  I really just
> need to know where to start and I think I can take it from there.  Any
> advice and words of wisdom would be helpful.
>
> Thanks,
> Andy Walker

ANDY,

Rande Bellman has some good advice.  Here is my cut.

I installed one 2 years ago.  The advise was actually pretty good, after I was
finished.  The one thing you'll find out is that those four prongs do not just
"push through" the fabric.  A special punch installers have, and is too
expensive for a "one-shot" is used to make the center hole and the four tab
holes.  I did it with a cheap roto-tool punch for the center hole that I
sharpened on a grinder first, and an exacto knife for the tab slots, using the
shell as a guide.  Get plenty of Band-Aids.

There is a strap in the middle that needs to be attached to your floor behind
the glove box.  This keeps the thing from flapping in the breeze with one side
open.  I used a non-included twist lock type fitting.  This WAS installed at a
top shop.  I had learned my lesson by then.

I found that, for my MkI, there is NO excess material. The attach hardware
actually has the lip edges underneath the edge seam so that it would reach
from the rear snaps to the windshield snaps, and from the left front to the
right front.  The round snap needs special tools too, but these are available
at your local sewing store.  Or you can use a ball peen and a piece of rod,
and be very careful.

I laid it out, first, with masking tape to get the general locations.  After
centering, and making sure each post location had enough room on the tonneau
for the hardware (see above) I rubbed the surface with a piece of chalk to
mark the hole location.  Make sure it is taut, or it will never reach  (unless
Robbins is being more generous with their material)

Keep plenty of Band-Aids around, and a cloth to keep the blood off the paint
and upholstery.  Don't let it sit around, it will damage the paint.  Clean it
up and fix your finger after.   The finger will heal, the paint wont.

Good luck.  My advice.  Read the directions and follow them.  Shop the
installers.  Ought to cost around $50.  $100 and they are penalizing you for
not buying it from them.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/