Re: temp gauge

To: netscott@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: temp gauge
From: Rob Guerra <Bomber44@kaiserair.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 09:38:47 -0700
I had the same problems with my car, here are a couple of other things to
consider:

1.) even though you replaced the sending unit on your temp guage it could be
bad also - (had this happen)

2.) the fan switch (ie. temp switch for the fan) may be bad - this is a common
problem

3.) it may be that you are reading two different areas of the block for
temperature - Where does the gauge pick up temp vs. the fan switch. Is the fan
switch close to the cool water inlet?

Some possible solutions:

Get a thermostat from the local parts house and check the actual temp in the
radiator at the inlet this will help you trouble shoot which sender/switch is
incorrect.  (I used an electronic point and shoot type -it was really cool, but
a regular thermometer will work)

Get a different fan switch - btw make sure you dont put any of the teflon tape
around the threads that will cause it to not properly ground ( I did this one
once).

Hope this helps.

>has anyone had this problem. it seems that as my motor get hotter the
>water temp. gauge reads hotter. that is to say that when i first start
>my motor my electric fan will go on at 200, after some time the fan goes
>on when the gauge reads about 215. is it possible that the resistance in
>the wire from the sending unit is changing with heat and is causing this
>difference.(i have replaced the sending unit and it did not help)

Rob

66 Sunbeam Tiger (351 W)        65 Sunbeam Alpine (Rotary - 240 HP)    67
Mustang
Fastback
98 Mustang Cobra        96 F-250 4wd