RE: Moss Motors

To: "Jay Laifman" <Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com>, <alpines@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Moss Motors
From: "Allan Connell" <alcon@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 10:41:58 -0700
Jay's experience with Moss is not unusual.

I have a friend who is in the LBC restoration business and does a great deal
of business with Moss....he is one of their larger accounts in SoCal.

He has complained about Moss incessantly of late due to both bad parts and
poor level of service.  Apparently, they go through this sort of cycle,
where their customer service goes in the toilet and eventually, so do their
sales.  After a poor year or two, they fire the president and bring someone
else in and things improve for a while.  Then, the cycle starts over.  No
offense to any accountants out there, but maybe the bean counters get too
involved.  Like for instance: they have an ignition switch that they only
sell about 25 per year and no one else has it.  Someone then determines that
there is little demand for the product so they stop carrying it.  Oh well.

My friend got so bent out of shape over this and many other issues that he
called Moss Europe and was amazed at the variety and selection they stock.
He only called looking for a new "racing" cam for a TR6 that Moss in Goleta
told them no one made.  Turns out that they do indeed make them in the UK
and there are over EIGHT different grinds available.  HMMMM.  And Moss over
her said no one made 'em.  How about that?  Well, he went ahead and ordered
the cam he wanted for the customer and they also included a catalog.  They
sent him a catalog too.  Turns out that the TR parts catalog was THREE TIMES
the size of the same catalog over here...and the prices even when you
convert pounds sterling to dollars were significantly less expensive.

Yup, I'm glad for Sunbeam Specialties too....

Regards,

Allan