Surviveing&Some Tiger Content

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Surviveing&Some Tiger Content
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 18:54:51 -0400
Folks,
        Just got the word over the phone at 6:30 that the gov had awarded
a contract and we won.  This is handy as my company was planning 700
layoffs by Friday.  Only been sweating this since Jan 3.

        Tiger Content: Arggggggg
        Earlier, I had noted previously that I had oil smoke comming out of my
351C Tiger II.  Also noted that I lost oil pressure when I braked very hard
unless I had a lot of oil in the pan.  The pan was shallow to provide plenty
of clearance fron the ground.  No baffels in this pan.
        I modified a front slump pan with sheet metal ( from a 1943 US Army
30 MM shell case) using a Tig welder.  Added three baffels cross wise plus the
original horizontal baffel.  Changed from rear sump pickup to front sump
pickup.  Now have a 14 quart oil pan.  The previous pan ( modified Bronco)
had a side mounted dip stick.  Went back to the front mounted dipstick and
promply broke the old dipstick tube in two at the bulge where it contacts
the block.  Replaced the broken tube with 3/8" steel fuel line. braised a
small ring in place of the budge and braised the clamp on as well.  You could
do this too if you damage your dip stick tube.  The 3/8" steel fuel line was
left over from my conversion from 5/16" fuel line.
        Now for the smoke.  If one is good two is better...NOT!  I had
replaced the
351C 4 barrel heads last year when a valve receaded due to lack of lead.
The replacement heads already had aftermarket valve stem seals made of steel
and teflon.
I didn't like the look of a couple of the seals  (used Heads) so I added the
stock
umbralla seals on top.  Well there is not enough clearance for both the
steel/teflon
seals and the stock seals.  All of the seals were damaged when I checked. The
umbralla seals were distroyed and several of the steel teflon seals were
dented/distorted
due to the smashing of the valve spring retainer.  I removed all of the old
seals and replaced them with the stock umbralla seals.  No more smoke and my
milage
appears to be better as the plugs are not oil fouled now.
        I can also brake as hard as possible without loss of oil pressure.
        I added a steel dam at the front of the cross member that extends
1/4" below
the new pan.  This will allow me to hear a noise a fraction of a second before I
cream the new full depth oil pan.

  For  Steve L.only, I am working on it, Do you require the date of the
messages?
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others