Re: Air Filters

To: "Steve Wickland" <wickland@poseidontech.com>
Subject: Re: Air Filters
From: "Tim Ronak" <timinvan@fox.nstn.ca>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:12:47 -0600
Steve W. wrote:
> While everything that I have read about K&N filters claims HP gains
> of small to significant, I would like to raise the question of filtration.
> How well does a K&N filter dirt out of an engine?  Racing engines
> come apart far more often than most of our Tiger engines so a little
> dirt is less of a problem.  What about a street engine?
>
> The reason I ask this is a supposed Catapiller report that was posted on
> another list 4 or 5 years ago.  It raised some doubt in my mind.  Does
> anyone have any credible data?
>
> Steve W.

Steve,
I don't have any idea about the quality of the air but intuitively it would
imply that with the higher volume of air it is likely to allow poorer
filtration into the engine. K&N maintains that the oil grabs the dirt out of
the air and it actually improves filtering the longer it is run. One note
from back in the early '90's superflow used a flowbench to measure airflow
between a used K&N (after 2 baja 48 hour races) and found that the K&N
assembly flowed more than twice as much air as a new paper element. It did
not say whether it was cleaner or not.
Regards,
TIM RONAK