Re: Air Filters

To: "Tim Ronak" <timinvan@fox.nstn.ca>, "Steve Laifman" <laifman@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Air Filters
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:51:37 -0700
Tim,

You've inspired me to add one more parameter to our acceleration tests Tim:
with and without air filter. Maybe with and without  stub stack too.

I have a Holley #1860 600 cfm. I removed the choke assembly with a hacksaw
and file. Not real pretty, but real cheap. I sure don't need a choke down
here in S. California, but I still have the manual adjust hooked up so I
can conveniently fine-tune the idle speed. Solves the run-on problem, etc.
An important factor, in addition to air flow, is air density; i.e., colder
air is better. In fact, probably most of the benefit you get from "ram air"
is the fact that it's cooler, not the increased pressure. Arranging to get
cool intake air under a Tiger's hood is problematic unless you have a hood
scoop as with the LAT-25 or LAT-79 or equivalents and implement some kind
of seal between the intake and the hood.

I have long held the opinion that 600 cfm is way plenty of carburetor for
even the most high performance 289/302 engines. However, if you are trying
to squeeze every last pony out, maybe this isn't completely true. Do you
have any comparable experience with small block Chevy motors? Of course,
with the flow limitations inherent with the Tiger installation, the
limiting factor is even more likely to be the air filter, etc.

Well, TTFN,

Bob

At 11:59 AM 7/15/99 -0600, Tim Ronak wrote:
>Steve You wrote:
> > Tim,
> >
> > What is a "stub stack", and will it fit the stock Tiger air cleaner
>housing with
> > the correct K&N main filter?
> >
>Steve and listers,
>Maybe it is yet another canadian innovation like the 6-bladed fan!
>
>Short answer....NO!
>
>Long answer Maybe or why would we want to.....

Robert L. Palmer
UCSD, Dept. of AMES
619-822-1037 (o)
760-599-9927 (h)