Re: Instrument Voltage Stabilizer Spam

To: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Subject: Re: Instrument Voltage Stabilizer Spam
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:34:53 -0400
At 03:31 PM 7/15/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Listers,
>
>Summer is here (OK, not in Calgary, but most other places) and with it the
>annual "My Tiger runs too hot! What do I do? postings. We can break this
problem
>into several categories:
>
>1. Genuine overheating: Symptoms like in the picture I put together for my SUNI
>webpage. I won't address that here, sorry.
>2. Gauge reads incorrectly because of a sender or gauge problem. I can't do
>anything about that, either.
>3. Gauge reads incorrectly because the instrument voltage stabilizer is not
>working properly.
>
>Last year I replaced my Lucas regulator's guts (the bimetal strip with the
>tarred horsehair resistance wire) with an IC regulator, and it's held up just
>great so far. I've posted some hints before and a few listers have seen the
>schematic, but at one of the tech sessions at Suni it became apparent that
there
>are quite a few people that would be interested in a more concrete solution.
>
>So I put the question to you all: How much demand is there for a better
>instrument regulator? If there is enough interest I will do a printed circuit
>layout and/or a kit (including components) and/or a rebuild service (you
ship me
>a broken regulator, it comes back working). One thing I need to know is how
>should it be packaged? On my car I rebuilt everything into the old regulator
>can, using the old phenolic backplate, so aside from the new rivets, you can't
>tell anything has been done. It might be easier to build the PCB so it is the
>backplate, but this would give the regulator a different appearance. Cost-wise,
>the IC regulator would be competitive with a new conventional regulator.
>
>Theo Smit
>tsmit@novatel.ca
>tsmit@home.com
>B382002705

Theo,
        Make it with an adjustment knob so when the Tiger over heats you can
simply turn down the voltage and have a "cooler Tiger"&-)
Alternate is with a cool tiger, turn up the voltage when you are about to
run out of gas&-} .
        Seriously, as the original crap is a bimetalic strip I would assume that
as the ambient temperature under the dash changes the, average voltage out
of this
original regulator would also change.  This would also change the readings
on the
temp and fuel gauges.
        Are you considering doing temperature compensation on your circuit?  Are
you going to test it for EMC problems? (specifically for the case of excess
voltage spikes due to jumper cables, bad voltage regulators, etc?).  I have
noticed
that specifications for automative electronic components are often times much
more strengent than MIL specifications for vibration, EMC, and temperature
extreams.  Will you pot it for dirt, humidity and mildew problems?
        I might be interested in replacing my Prince of Darkness regulator with
your product if it was less than $15 and it had compatable connections.(
Even without
fancy specifications and tests)
        Final thought, a dual output with adjustments on both would be handy for
those who are using a different temperature sensor/ or gauge and the other
adjustable
output for those who have changed their fuel tanks or sensor.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others