RE: Instrument Voltage Stabilizer Spam

To: "'James Barrett'" <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: Instrument Voltage Stabilizer Spam
From: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 16:51:00 -0600
James,

The IC regulators that are out there are spec'ed to work over the "industrial"
temperature range, that's usually -40 to 85 degrees C. Within that range the
accuracy of the voltage output depends on the goodness of the resistors you use
to set the output voltage, so a few pennies (or quarters, at low volumes) spent
here means you don't need adjustments.

As far as over/undervoltage spikes go, a good reference here is SAE J1211. I was
planning to provide a clamp diode to trigger at 50 volts or so (which is the
maximum that the regulator I had in mind can stand). The diligent experimenter
will be able to find ways to exceed that voltage, but that kind of stuff will
also damage other components in the car's electrical system, and the instrument
regulator will then be the least of your worries.

A dual output with adjustments on both is something that I was specifically
trying to avoid, since most folks are still using stock sensors and gauges
(correct me if I'm wrong here), and having adjustments would just mean that
everyone would then be dependent on the goodness of their voltmeter. My plan was
to offer a bolt-in (or solder-in, for those of you that like to tinker)
solution, no adjustments, no frills. Frills cost engineering time, and that
means everyone gets to pay more.

Theo