defending K&N filters

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: defending K&N filters
From: "Mike Sutter" <mjsutter@cts.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 17:36:38 -0700
> They never made it.  The small paper filters inside the K&N would
> clog in 15 - 20 minutes.  After several tries they discontinued the test.
>
> Steve W.

Steve and Listers,

I heard of similar instances happening in the off-road racing circles where
the first time K&N customer claimed the damn things didn't work at all. It
turned out the consumer didn't oil them before they installed them. K&N
used to supply their filters to the public un-oiled and it was up to the
consumer to ensure that the proper amount and type of oil was applied to
the filter surface. After a couple of situations like the one you described
above they decided it was necessary to pre-oil all the filter elements they
sold. I guess the HUGE oil before using stickers were ignored.

Mike