RE: defending K&N filters

To: "'Mike Sutter'" <mjsutter@cts.com>,
Subject: RE: defending K&N filters
From: Chris Thompson <cthompson@rrinc.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 23:12:25 -0400
I'm amazed at all of this discussion on oil vs paper filtering.  Everything
I've heard about K&N's has been exemplary.  I've been planning on calling Rick
to get one to replace my paper.

I've got a 1950 FarmAll Cub, a 1947 Farmall H, a 1951 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup, and
a 1952 Chevy 1 ton pickup, all of which use an "oil bath" filter where they
rely as much on air passing over a *bowl* of oil for filtering as anything else
for air filtering.  All of these machines operate like new, on their original
engines about 50 years later.  The 1 ton has about 250,000 miles on it.  I
would suspect that since these machines have been around longer than I have,
their POs have replaced the oil in the bowls somewhat regularly, but they
certainly did not come to me that way.

Dealing with oil filters is messy, incongruous, and non-recurring revenue for
anybody but the oil company.  I suspect that paper filters took over for other
than performance reasons, IMHO....

Chris Thompson
Executive Vice President
Recognition Research, Inc.