Re: Lowering front ends

To: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lowering front ends
From: FrizBMG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 22:25:23 EDT
In a message dated 7/20/99 9:45:10 pm, Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com writes:

>Is there a discussion anywhere about removing the front cross member?
>Should it be done with the wheels on so that the whole thing can roll?
> Or,
>would the car have to be way too high to get the wheels to fit underneath?
>
>I understand that the top A arms might interfere with some sheet metal.
> Is
>the only way to avoid this to take off the top A arms?
>Also, is it easy to put the car on jackstands and lower the cross member
>with a floor jack?  Or, will the angle of the crossmember created by
>jacking up the front of the car, cause it to twist, spin or rotate off
>of
>the floor jack?
>
>Thanks.

Hi Jay
 I did this last year to install an engine with headers and transmission into
a Tiger from underneath.There is a discussion of front end removal at the
Sunbeam Tiger web page under techtips.The piece was authored by Mark Olsen.I
did a variation of the "rope trick" using an engine hoist(well I had it there
to lift the engine anyways)I had the wheels on also to help ease the assembly
around.I have I piece that I can send you that I wrote at the time about my
ordeal....Well it wasnt THAT bad.
The site is at <A
HREF="http://www.corpdemo.com/tiger/techtips/xmember.html";>http://www.corpdemo
.com/.../xmember.html