Gano Filter Unplugged

To: "Tiger's Den" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gano Filter Unplugged
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 22:11:00 -0700
Listers,

One of this weekend's chores was to flush the Tigers cooling system. I
removed the thermostat and back-flushed through the engine and radiator
until it ran clean. Also, cleaned out the Gano filter, which was moderately
clogged, but probably not quite to the point of being a problem. Glad,
however, that none of that stuff went into the radiator. Following, I
believe, Larry Wright's suggestion, I took the dual screens out of the
brass Gano housing, wired them together and inserted the assembly into the
radiator inlet, into which it fit quite nicely. Thanks Larry, for helping
me jettison about half a pound of unnecessary brass. Then, filled the
system with two bottles of water pump lubricant/rust inhibitor and
de-ionized water. With the warmest part of our season close at hand, it
should get put to the test pretty soon.

Oh, BTW, while at MM&J's I noticed lots of shiny new bottles of Castrol LMA
brake fluid on the shelf, so I stocked up on a couple of bottles. Funny
thing though; the stuff looks a bit darker in color than the old Castrol;
more like the old Girling as I recall. HMMMMM??

Well, TTFN guys,

Bob
Robert L. Palmer
UCSD, Dept. of AMES