Engine sounds

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine sounds
From: "Tim Ronak" <timinvan@fox.nstn.ca>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 21:42:08 -0600
Listers,
I thought that I would put my 2 cents in on the engine sound issue.
I would propose that the differential sound is a combination of a number of
factors:
1) Compression- The sound that our 14:1 small block chevrolet makes is
considerably different than what a 9:1 motor makes as it is considerably
more percussive in the note to the point of almost making your eardrums
bleed.
2) Combustion chamber and exhaust port shape and flow- Ford heads typically
the small block flow significantly poorer than a small block Chev on the
exhaust side. This alone is probably a large contributor to the different
exhaust note but most likely....
3) Cam configuration and timing- While I am new to fords it appears that the
better racing cams tend to allow a little more duration for the exhaust side
on a Ford due to the poorer flow as compared to the intake side. As a
result, there is a significant difference in performance and stock cam
configurations (Lobe centers and individual lobe seperation, extra exhaust
duration) to maximize exhaust scavenging between the two Auto makers. These
two different approaches in cam technology to optimize the limitations of
the two different physical units (Chev breathing versus Ford breathing) is
probably the most likely explanation.

4) ........Fords have ford mufflers and Chevs have Chev mufflers??!!??
To this end i just got a set of CAT headers for my Tiger and hope to get
them on soon as right now I have to admit my car sounds more like a Pussycat
than a Tiger.

Regards,
Tim Ronak