Re: DI water - Technical

To: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>, pamelam@connix.com
Subject: Re: DI water - Technical
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 15:21:07 -0700
At 02:33 PM 8/11/99 -0700, Steve Laifman wrote:
>WARNING!  This material is of a highly technical nature, and has a tendency to
>make one's head hurt.   There are a lot of big words used, but that's
>unavoidable
>as I am not smart enough to know the small ones, nor eloquent enough to be
>briefer.  - {9->  Steve

snip, snip, snip . . .

>Bob Palmer may be fresher at this than I am.
>
>Steve

Not much Steve. However, you're comments are pretty close to what my
understanding of this is. Of course, they may not have told us everything
there is to know in Freshman Chemistry, even though I know we thought so at
the time. ;-)

When I get a chance, I'll bend one of our electro-chemists ears here at
UCSD and get a "second opinion". Of course, for the rest of the List, this
is mostly a moot point. The bottom line is use as pure a water as you can
get and add your own "ions" via rust inhibitor, coolant, water pump
lubricant, etc. I seem to recall a previous discussion about the various
additives in commercial coolants, which ones were best for aluminum, etc.,
but that was at least a year or so ago. In my particular case, I'm trying
100% water (plus the rust inhibitor/lubricant) instead of the 40-50% glycol
based coolant I've been running, just to see if it works any better for me
in terms of cooling efficiency. Let you know if I see any noticeable
difference.

Bob
Robert L. Palmer
UCSD, Dept. of AMES