Re: DI water - Technical

To: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: DI water - Technical
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 15:53:54 -0700
James Barrett wrote:

> At 02:33 PM 8/11/99 -0700, you wrote:

> >J. C. Whitney (Warshowskies) still sells zinc/magnesium radiator rods with a
> >stainless tie to the water inlet for fishing out the remains.  The
>sacrificial
> >electrolytic erosion of this material will prevent the copper, aluminum,
> and iron
> >materials, all lower on the scale, from being electrolyticly attacked.
>
> Steve,
>         True statement; however as the zinc or magnesium metal converts to
> zinc oxide (or what ever) it proceeds to clog your radiator as well.
> Recommend flushing the radiator when the sacrifical element is in need of
> replacement.
> James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others

Jim,

The zinc and magnesium just dissolves into ions, just like your aluminum, and
doesn't come back out unless you throw some pretty strange reactive chemical in.
It will remain in solution an will drain out with the next coolant change.  I
agree about flushing, no matter what you do.  Once a year is best, once every
two
years if you add a lubricant for the pump after 12 months, and certainly change
everything, including a new sacrificial anode if it disappears and the chain is
still there ({9->.

Of course, Southern California doesn't worry to much about freezing (except for
the skiers), and Bob has a point about running all distilled water with pump
lubricant for this weather.  The boiling point, with 13-14 psi cap, isn't much
different than the antifreeze, and it is a better conductor of heat. (Cheaper
too).  Freezing point is another story, but we are both in sun country.

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/