Speedo

To: "Tiger's Den" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Speedo
From: Chris Thompson <cthompson@rrinc.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 23:49:13 -0400
Sorry if this is a lame subject - I've searched the listserve archives and
can't find an answer to this probably simple question.

My speedo jumps all over the place.  Currently, it's all but stuck on the high
end whenever I start the car.

I've sent the speedo to MOMA three times now.  The first time it came back,
they had rebuilt it, and Rick from SS helpfully included a note saying to check
that the speed-end of my cable was ground down to less something like 5/8" from
the cable ferrule.  Mine was much longer, so, ahhh that must be it I figured.
Ground it on down.  Didn't fix it.  This time speedo was stuck at about 30 MPH
standing still, and didn't move much.

Sent the speedo back to MOMA. They sent it back saying that some gear was
replaced.  Install, and speedo is jumping all over the place again.  Rick's
note had forwarned that if you didn't cut and grind the cable just right, you
were hosed.  Chris Williams, a noted Tiger restorer on the east cost said
poppycock - any Mustang cable will do and he's never had a problem.

I send both the twice-repaired speedo and the cable-modified-by-me to MOMA.
They sent both back saying everything looks fine to them.  They said that, oh,
by the way, there should be a spacer of somekind, like an "O" ring inserted
between the speedo cable and fitting, and they've machined a nice brass ring to
sit over the speedo fitting.

With this nice new enhancement, I now go 140 MPH standing still.

I feel like an idiot.  I can't forsee anything in the transmission side that
would cause this - only on the speedo side.  Yet MOMA has checked everything
out three times now.

Has anyone experienced this phenomenom, and have any suggestions?

Chris Thompson
Executive Vice President
Recognition Research, Inc.
1750 Kraft Dr. Suite 2000