Re: Speedo

To: Chris Thompson <cthompson@rrinc.com>
Subject: Re: Speedo
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 22:08:33 -0700
Chris Thompson wrote:

> I send both the twice-repaired speedo and the cable-modified-by-me to MOMA.
>They sent both back saying everything looks fine to them.  They said that, oh,
>by the way, there should be a spacer of somekind, like an "O" ring inserted
>between the speedo cable and fitting, and they've machined a nice brass ring
>to sit over the speedo fitting.
> .
>
> Has anyone experienced this phenomenom, and have any suggestions?

Chris,

whoever told you a Mustang cable was OK was only part right.  While the end
fittings may attach, the cable and housing lengths are not.  MOMA and Rick were
quite correct when they stressed the importance of the inner cable length, and
the end fitting.  A brass 'ring' is the correct bearing surface between the
cable case/nut and the 'squared' end of the cable.  The distance between these
point is critical on the Jaeger units,
When you tighten down on the outer housing nut, the cable outer sheath must not
move within the crimped end.  The extended length of squared inner cable must
no go past the end of the speedo receiving fitting.  Otherwise you are
compressing the cable against the fragile bearing of the speedo.  It should
have end float.

Similarly, the cable grip at the gear end should be of the proper size so that
it does not force the cable length out of the cable sheath more than the cable
bearing can stand (same story from the other end.

The over-all length of the cable is not as important as the forced protrusion
when the tranny end is installed, but can contribute to outer sheath wear,
binding, and mis-alignment.

This sounds more complicated than it is.  First, buy a new housing and cable
set from S.S., and your problems go away, providing you haven't damaged the
speedo bearing.  The new housing has a steel inner core, instead of plastic
original, and will last a lot longer.  The cable should be greased before
insertion.

Steve