Re: Oil Cooler Questions

To: "rflynn" <rflynn@dircon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Oil Cooler Questions
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 19:10:27 -0400
At 01:12 PM 8/23/99 +0100, you wrote:

>- How common is it to have a 289ci in a Tiger without an oil cooler?
>
>- How important are oil coolers on 289ci in terms of keeping things
>  cool (does it aid in minimising overheating, etc.)?
>
>- Is anyone running an oil filter with one of those finned rings
>  on it?  Do they seem to help?
>
>I ask because I have a MKI with a transplanted 289 (6 bolt, possibly
>circa 1965, possibly not) with no oil cooler installed.  The car is
>a YAHT (Yet Another Hot Tiger) and I have, with great credit owing
>to this list, addressed the radiator, installed an electric fan, etc.
>Things seem to be noticably improved, though of course it has only
>been tested on cool nights at the moment.  (After this weekend's
>scheduled trip I should know much better whether I've improved
>things or not.)
>
>thanks in advance,
>
>rick
        My Tiger II came with a duel tube oil cooler similar to the single
tube Alpine.  The one with the spiral copper loops on it.  Recommend that
you get an after market cooler (bigger the better) and add in front of the
radiator. Most Tigers need all the cooling help they can get.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others