Re: inquiry 083099a (valve covers)

To: JR Carter <rising_tiger@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: inquiry 083099a (valve covers)
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 11:55:48 -0700
JR Carter wrote:

> Curious, will the LAT covers fit over roller 'tipped' rockers?  (These
> rockers are mounted the same as stock, the tip just has a small roller where
> it contacts the valve stem) Or, do
> I have to remove the baffles also.  Does anyone have experience with these
> rockers?

Jeff,

If you are talking about the ones like Competition Cams makes, that look like a
stock rocker, but have the tip modified for a roller against the stem, no mods
are
required.

For most of the other full designs, except the really big mothers, you can get
by
with making a hole in the steel plate above the rocker nut that sticks up,
without
removing the plate.  I believe that, instead of using two gaskets, you can just
get a thick gasket for these all-up roller rockers.

That's what the Cobra cars I've seen do, and their valve cover is the same as
ours, except for the lettering and the ground off fins.  Some valve cover corner
filing may be required, on the corner nearest the firewall, or the elimination
of
the motor mount spacer washers (not heat shield), which will lower the engine a
bit.

This needs to be considered carefully if you have a 6 blade fan you've cut to
clear the rack.  It will lower the fan too, and may introduce interference.  I
had
my blades ‘reshaped’ by the rack.  Had to clean up the edges with a file, and
the
balance is a little off at 1500 rpm.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/