Stop Light Switch Question

To: Alpines List <alpines@autox.team.net>, Tigers List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stop Light Switch Question
From: steve sage <rootes@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 11:39:07 -0700
Thanks for the replies on my current problem. In the meantime, a local
parts shop has a replacement stop light switch for about $10. They say I
can usually just screw in the new switch and not have to take the old
"junction" piece off the car. Sounds like it's worth a try if I don't
have to bleed the brakes, etc. afterward. I wonder, though, if that
switch will unscrew at all after what looks like 32 years or so sitting
on my Alpine's wheel arch. Has anyone tried this route?

Interesting in that when I first got in the Alpine this morning, the
first few hits of the brake pedal, without too much pressure, got the
stop lights to glow. As I ran the car a couple of minutes and repeatedly
stepped on the pedal, it required more and more pressure to get the
lights to operate, to the point where I had to apply a lot of pressure
to get them to light. I know a couple of you have suggested just
cleaning the switch and the piece. What does this entail? Just
unscrewing the switch, and cleaning it, or taking the whole piece off
the car and scraping its insides?

Thanks.

Steve Sage