Automatic

To: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Subject: Automatic
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 21:47:35 -0400
At 03:44 PM 9/9/99 -0700, you wrote:

>I have also thought about your Auto trans installation quite a bit.  I've done
>a C-4 conversion and that's all you'll fit without replacing the tunnel.  I've
>also built C-6's for my 3/4 ton pickup with a warmed 390.  It's a good trany
>but you still have the 3 gear limitation.  As long as you have to do the tunnel
>work, I'd opt for a version of the AOD.  With some homework, I think you can
>find mfg's that can build a non-computer controlled AOD which will give you the
>ability to run a lower diff gear and still cruse at 70 at 2000 RPM.  This will
>give back some mileage since you still use the beast for commuting on
>occasion.  You'll have the only AOD 351C for quite a while.
>
>Tom
        I did a lot of checking on the AOD, It is longer than the C4
and my SROD manual setup.  There is a rather large tail piece as well.
The transmission mount is 2 " back from the C4 and SROD.
To mount the AOD I would have to completely modify the X member
as the hole is too small and extends to far forward to allow
for the mount.  I decided I didn't want to do that.  Today I
aquired a C4 from a 77 Cougar.  I am going to rebuild it
before installing it.  I just opened it up and it appears
to be in good shape ( probably would work without a rebuild).
        I did an extensive internet search on the AOD.  There are
several good articles ( all related to drag racing the AOD).
        All of the articles on the AOD recommended changing
the input shaft so that lockup does not occur.  They all claimed
that the AOD standard configuration was a dog and very weak due
to the input shaft.  Many modifications were recommended that
would make the AOD better than sliced bread.  I got one quote
for a street/strip for $1250 ( original input shaft).
        If I do not change the tork convertor to a aftermarket
version, I expect to have less than $300 in the C4.  Pep Boys
has a B&M C4 for $1450. ( less bell housing and tork convertor).
        The C4 I got, uses the 164 tooth plate and has the
larger bell housing.  This matches my 351C perfectly.  Many of
the articles on the C4 (as well as the salvage yard I got the
transmission at) claimed that all the C4's with the dipstick
mounted in the case used the small bell housing and the 157
tooth flex plate and that only the pan mounted dipstick  version
had the 164 tooth. Wrong! Only one article claimed that full
size Fords with a 302 or 351  used the 164 tooth.  The latter is
is true in my case with a 77 Cougar transmission.
        I thought I had a C3 in my Alpine, but I found that
it is actually a C4 with a tiny bell housing for the Caprii
2.8L V6.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others