Re: negative camber

To: "Doug & Rett Leithauser" <dleit@mintcity.com>
Subject: Re: negative camber
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 22:10:51 -0400
At 08:53 PM 9/9/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Negative camber within reason, mabey 1 1/2 degrees, will not have a great
>affect on steering effort. I suspect that the pile of shims in your front
>end also give you a lot of positive caster, that will increase steering
>effort. Modern sticky tires can also cause your arms to hurt, and don't
>overlook the posibility that your stering gear needs some oil. My car needed
>a lot  more muscle to steer before I went from an autocross tire to a street
>tire & added some 90 weight to the rack.
>Happy Motoring
>Doug Leithauser
              Doug,
        The steering U joints also get dry as well.  My U joints
do not have a grease fitting and I didn't want to dissamble the
little U joints.  Therefore; I cleaned the exterior of the U joints
and heated up some good wheel bearing grease in a pan on the stove.
I soaked the two U joints in the melted grease for a while.
I ocassionally wiggled the U joints to help the grease go in.
This worked like a champ 20 years ago.  Within the last year
I tried this again.  Unfortunually I had cheap wheel bearing
grease and it did not melt correctly.  Made a huge mess
with brown lumps in the grease.  Did get some grease in the
U joints, but really need to do it again with grease that will melt
smoothly.  This procedure makes a bad stink and one should have
a fire extengisher nearby when doing this.  (Probably no more
safty problem than very hot cooking grease.)  Be sure your
wife does not catch you doing this with her good pan.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others