RE: Heater Core

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Heater Core
From: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 07:36:37 -0600
Hi Cecil,
Your local rad shop should be able to get you a replacement core for $50 or $60
US, and to solder the old tanks onto it. Removal of the old core is sometimes
complicated by the fact that the end tanks are not very rigid, so they bow out
and make the heater assembly wider than the hole it's in. Get some blade
screwdrivers or stiff putty knives and push the tank sides in as you pull the
heater out of it's cubby, taking care not to puncture the sides.

When I reinstalled mine last winter I used some open-cell foam with sticky
backing rather than the "correct" horsehair felt pads between the tank edges and
the cubbyhole. I also used new worm-drive hose clamps instead of the wire
style.The heater box is a place where you want to leave as little to chance as
possible as far as leak-generators are concerned.
Make sure the heater valve is in the "hot" position when you refill the cooling
system.

Good luck,

Theo Smit
tsmit@home.com