Re: Heater Core

To: cmclendon@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: Heater Core
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 21:29:08 -0400
Cecil,
        The MGB came with the identical heater core.  Much easier to find
MGB's in the junk yard than Sunbeams or Tigers.
Suggest you go back to the 7 psi radiator cap after you fix or replace the core.
The chances are that the ends of your heater core has buldged and broken loose
from the pressure of a 13 to 17 psi radiator cap.  The heater core can be
repaired at a radiator shop if the end caps are leaking at the seams.  The
difficult
part is to convience the radiator man to do it correctly.  There is a ridge
across the
end caps.  Inside the cap ridge  is a brass piece that was orginally sweat
soldered to the
cap and the core.  It is critical to re-solder this internal connection if the
cap is going to stay on very long.  Otherwise the cap buldges out again and
breaks the solder seam once again.  Lower pressure radiator caps minimize the
damage to the heater core.  The cap is 4" square  or 16 square inches.
with 7 psi there is 112 lbs of force on the cap and with a 17 psi cap
there is 272 lbs on the cap.  no wonder it buldges and leaks.

At 09:15 AM 9/22/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi all:
>
>My heater core is leaking. Any suggestions on where to acquire the same, and
>anything I need to know about installation?
>
>Thanks
>
>Cecil
>MK1A

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others