RE: inquiry 100599e (19)

To: "'Wright, Larry'" <larry.wright@usop.com>,
Subject: RE: inquiry 100599e (19)
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@isotel.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 09:46:28 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From:   Wright, Larry [SMTP:larry.wright@usop.com]
Sent:   Tuesday, October 05, 1999 6:49 AM
To:     National Corporation (E-mail)
Subject:        inquiry 100599e (19)

"Underneath", installment 19

<snip>
        I borrowed a carbide burr (thanks, Larry Paulick) for my
pneumatic mini die grinder, and attacked the fins. For the first 2
seconds, it worked great; then it clogged up with soft aluminum. Then I
tried a grinding stone, same problem. Then a hacksaw with one of those
abrasive-rod blades. No better, and super slow. I dug around in my tool
drawers, looking for something to remove the metal. I spied a really
large, coarse-cut file, and decided to try it. Yes! It cut, and didn't
clog much, and I had a file card (a wire brush, basically) for cleaning
it up periodically. Clamped to the benchtop, I started filing. 1-1/2
hours later, the fins were cut down as desired.
I know you're finished, but if you're using a die grinder on aluminum you
want a coarse-fluted carbide cutter that looks like a drill bit with a
rounded tip, not the fine-toothed variety with the little triangular
cutting points. Use real cutting oil or dish soap (Palmolive) in a little
water to keep the bit clean.

Or use an 18 TPI bimetal hacksaw blade, again with some kind of cutting
fluid. I thought abrasive-wire blades were for cutting ceramic tile.

<snip>
        BTW, I didn't check, although with both covers off I guess
filling them with water as a test would be easy enough, but should I
worry about increased interior volume of the alloy cover effectively
lowering the oil level? Or should I just add oil until it hits the
bottom of the fill hole?
If the fill hole on your new cover is at the same height as on the old
cover, then fill it until you reach the hole. Any increased or decreased
volume (caused by the diff cover being different and/or the posi unit or
open diff being different) will take care of itself. If the fill hole on
the new cover is at a much different height than original, then I wouldn't
use it.

Theo Smit
tsmit@home.com
tsmit@isotel.com
B382002705

Lawrence R. Wright, Purchasing Analyst
U S Office Products, Mid-Atlantic District
Formerly Andrews Office Products
larry.wright@usop.com (new)
Ph. 301.386.7923  Fx. 301.386.5333