RE: inquiry 102199b (20.75) (follow up)

To: "'Jim Morrison'" <jpmorrison@erols.com>,
Subject: RE: inquiry 102199b (20.75) (follow up)
From: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 08:40:55 -0400
> From: Jim Morrison

        Thanks, Jim, for your reply! It's funny; I'm so used to getting
multiple answers to _any_ question that if a don't get a reply from
someone on the List right away, I figure there's something wrong w/my
e-mail! :^)

> I just finished this same replacement.  Two tricks I would
> recommend.  I
> used a heavy chain with one end bolted to the pinion flange
> and the other
> wrapped around/bolted to the frame or suspension.  All this
> is to keep the
> pinion from turning while undoing the nut on the pinion.

        I'll try that if I need to; I may not have to, though. That
pinion flange & nut have been off & on a dozen times this summer during
the LSD installation, zero miles since. Therefore, it shouldn't be
seized on, nor should the nut (insert belly-laugh here). Also, something
neat about the parts that came with the LSD, the new pinion flange is
not round, it's rather halfway between a rectangle and a dog-bone shape;
so I should be able to get my 15" Crescent wrench onto it to prevent
rotation while pulling the nut. Then, I hope that using my new gear
puller in those tight quarters will have the flange popping loose.
Taking bets on how wrong I am???

> Remember to
> torque it properly upon re-installation.

        I should have checked the service manual first; betcha the
torque setting is in there. However, the torque for the diff bearing
caps wasn't.

>Taking the old seal out is fairly
> straightforward.  Stick a screwdriver/punch or some other
> stiff metal object
> into the hole and pry it out.

        No special tools? Cool. I remember seeing somewhere a "seal
puller" tool, a small sharp hook with a handle mounted at 90 degrees to
it. Sort of a miniature version of what you'd expect they use at
meat-packing plants. Having said that, imagine me driving Saturday
morning to a half-dozen auto parts stores trying to find one. "Hey, Joe;
Chester here. Some guy just left, he was looking for what he called a
mini-meathook seal extractor. He's probably headed your way next. Yeah,
why dontcha tell him to try Shalimar Auto Parts, waaay down Route 301?
Joe, of _course_ there's no such place; that's the fun of it! Hey, let's
meet for lunch and you can tell me how it turned out. Ha Ha!"

>Nothing inside to worry about
> except where
> the seal itself mounts.  I used a little sealer around the
> new seal for good measure.

        And _that's_ how I could have avoided this mess in the first
place.

Lawrence R. Wright, Purchasing Analyst
U S Office Products, Mid-Atlantic District
Formerly Andrews Office Products
larry.wright@usop.com (new)
Ph. 301.386.7923  Fx. 301.386.5333