Re: inquiry 102199b (20.75)

To: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Subject: Re: inquiry 102199b (20.75)
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 08:23:44 -0700
"Wright, Larry" wrote:

> "underneath", installment 20-3/4
> ------  That raises more questions. Primarily, how to get the old one
> out, and can it be done with the diff installed in the car?

Larry,

I was suffering the same dilemma about changing to a LSD without having to yank
out the rear end.  As you know, the Alpine spare tire well is in the way of
access, if your rear seal is leaking, and maneuvering room if it's the front
seal.

One proffered solution is to remove Drive shaft (for the front seal) and the
leaf
spring front and rear bolts and let it drop to the exhaust pipe level.  If this
still doesn't provide enough access, you may have to remove the exhaust pipes.
Just a few bolts away from an in-car solution, but this (as you know) is a heavy
mother, and requires good stand support.

>         The fuel pump issue is a bit stickier. Apparently there is no
> "rebuild kit" that would enable replacing just the leaking gaskets; the
> recommendation was to pick up some gasket material from a hardware store
> and _make_ one. Ick! Especially those little ones that go behind the
> double-male threaded fitting where the fuel lines attach.
>         Sorry again for all of the questions; TIA for any feedback.

You can buy a new, or re-built SU, but you're still stuck with those points
burning.  Theo Smit has designed a completely solid state points replacement
circuit, but has yet to build it and test it for lack of an SU to modify.  He
replaced his.  Anyone with a spare SU (I suppose one that doesn't work, or
leaks)
would be acceptable.
See distribution for his e-mail.  His design will be on our "soon-to-be-released
web site".  Watch this space for further announcements.

Good luck Larry.

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/